Administrative Law (Merits Review & Judicial Review)
Human Rights/Victorian Charter
Alistair practises in the areas of commercial and public law. He is regularly briefed to advise and appear in trial and appellate proceedings across a broad range of areas, including corporations law, trade practices, class actions, constitutional law and human rights.
Prior to coming to the Bar, Alistair was a solicitor and senior associate in the litigation and dispute resolution group at Mallesons Stephen Jaques (now King & Wood Mallesons) from 1999 to 2005 and an associate to Justice Hayne, High Court of Australia, in 2001-2002.
Some recent matters include:
• acting for ANZ in proceedings brought by ASIC in relation to the BBSW reference rate (ongoing)
• acting for GE Lighting Australia in a dispute under a distribution contract and the Australian Consumer Law against its former distributor (settled)
• securities and other class actions: Newstart 123 Pty Ltd v Billabong International Ltd  FCA 1194; Hadchiti v Nufarm Ltd  FCA 1524; Black Saturday bushfire class actions (Matthews v SPI Electricity Pty Ltd & Ors (Kilmore East-Kinglake bushfire) and Rowe v Ausnet Services Pty Ltd & Ors (Murrindindi bushfire)
• various corporations and commercial law matters, including Forrest v Australian Securities & Investments Commission (2012) 247 CLR 486 corporations law - misleading and deceptive conduct, continuous disclosure, directors duties); and ACN 074 971 109 v The National Mutual Life Association of Australasia Limited  VSC 519 (contractual claims under a policy of insurance)
• various constitutional law matters: McCloy v New South Wales  HCA 34; Unions NSW v New South Wales (2013) 252 CLR 530; Attorney-General (SA) v Adelaide City Corporation (2013) 249 CLR 1; Monis v The Queen; Droudis v The Queen (2013) 249 CLR 92; Wotton v Queensland (2012) 246 CLR 1; Momcilovic v The Queen (2011) 245 CLR 1
• petroleum resource rent tax: ZZGN v Commissioner of Taxation  AATA 351; Esso Australia Resources Pty Ltd v Commissioner of Taxation (2011) 199 FCR 226 (and at first instance: Esso Australia Resources Pty Ltd v Commissioner of Taxation (2011) 194 FCR 32); Woodside Energy Ltd v Commissioner of Taxation (2009) 174 FCR 91 (and at first instance, Woodside Energy Ltd v Commissioner of Taxation (2007) 69 ATR 465)
• Victorian Charter: Goode v Common Equity Housing Ltd  VSC 585; Kerrison v Melbourne City Council (2014) 228 FCR 87 (FCAFC; Occupy Melbourne case); Victoria Police Toll Enforcement v Taha  VSCA 37; Director of Housing v Sudi (2011) 33 VR 559 (VSCA)
• freedom of information: O’Brien v Department of Treasury and Finance – FOI Officer  VCAT 1282
• acting for the State of Victoria (with Orr QC) in the Royal Commission into Family Violence
Alistair is a reporter for the Commonwealth Law Reports, a contributing author to the Victorian Administrative Law service and the co-author of An Annotated Guide to the Victorian Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities (2008, ThomsonReuters).
Co-author of "An Annotated Guide to the Victorian Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities" (Thomson Lawbook Co.);
Author of chapter on the Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities Act 2006 (Vic) in Kyrou & Pizer, "Victorian Administrative Law" (Thomson Lawbook Co., looseleaf service)
*liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation