AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Class Actions / Representative Proceedings
- Commercial Law
- Contract Disputes
- Professional Negligence
- Managed Investment Schemes
- Constitutional Law
Rodrigo practises in commercial and constitutional law.
He earned his Master of Laws from Harvard Law School and graduated with first class honours from Melbourne Law School.
Prior to coming to the Bar, Rodrigo was an attorney at Cravath, Swaine & Moore in New York where he worked on major commercial and constitutional matters as well as advising clients in regulatory proceedings before the SEC. At Cravath, Rodrigo represented clients such as JPMorgan, Credit Suisse, Time Warner, IBM and Qualcomm.
Rodrigo acted for the respondents in Randall v Sorrell, 548 U.S. 230 (2006) (regarding campaign finance laws and reconsidering Buckley v Valeo, 424 U.S. 1 (1976)), before the Supreme Court of the United States.
Rodrigo has also acted as in-house counsel to the Premier of Victoria.
Recent matters include:
- ASIC v NAB-acting for NAB in the market manipulation case brought by ASIC against NAB, ANZ and Westpac in relation to the bank bill swap reference rate (BBSW) (led by Neil Young QC and Wendy Harris QC)
- ACCC v Phoenix Institute of Australia (subject to deed of company arrangement)-acting for deed administrators in proceeding brought by ACCC and the Commonwealth alleging contraventions of the Australian Consumer Law in relation to the supply of vocational education courses (led by Wendy Harris QC)
- Farey and Ors v National Australia Bank Ltd-acting for NAB in the bank fees’ class action (led by John Karkar QC)
- Earglow Pty Ltd v Newcrest Mining Ltd-acting for primary layer insurers in a class action regarding continuous disclosure obligations (led by Garry Rich SC)
- Consider This Training v Department of Education and Training-acting for a registered training organisation in a dispute regarding termination under the 2014 VET Funding Contract
- Mair v Rhodes & Beckett-acting for Rhodes & Beckett in contractual dispute (led by Michael Wyles QC)
- Australian Securities and Investments Commission v Flugge—acting for former chairman of the Australian Wheat Board in director’s duties proceeding (led by John Karkar QC and Kanaga Dharmananda SC)
- Lactalis Jindi v Jindi Cheese¬—acting for vendors in dispute concerning business sale agreement (led by Peter Collinson QC)
- Crawley Investments v Elman and Noble Group—acting for Elman and Noble Group in Western Australian proceeding concerning investment company (led by John Karkar QC)
- In the matter of Gunns Plantations Ltd (recs & mngrs appt'd) (in liq)—acting for certain growers in certain Great Southern schemes (led by Jonathon Moore QC)
- Mercuri and Vraca v Syngenta Seeds—acting for Syngenta in dispute concerning seedlings (led by James Peters QC)
- Willmott Forests including Madgwick v Kelly  FCAFC 61 (security for costs decision in the Full Court of the Federal Court)—acting for the Willmott Companies (led by Wendy Harris QC)
- Banksia Financial Group—acting for various parties in receiver’s examinations including CEO
- Zomojo v Hurd—acting for Ark Group International in contempt proceedings regarding high frequency trading technology dispute (led by John Karkar QC)
- Methodist Ladies’ College and Rosa Storelli—acting for the Board of MLC in relation to employment contract dispute (led by John Karkar QC)
- Pathway Investments v National Australia Bank class action—acting for the NAB in claim relating to US CDO markets (led by John Karkar QC and Wendy Harris QC)
- Sigma Pharmaceuticals shareholders’ class action—acting for insurers (led by John Karkar QC)
- ION Limited shareholders’ class action—acting for insurers (led by John Karkar QC)
- Australian Securities and Investments Commission v Healey  FCA 717—acting for ASIC in claim against former directors of Centro (led by Mark Derham QC)
- Fortescue Metal Group’s Cyclone George litigation including Kirwin v The Pilbara Infrastructure Pty Ltd  WASC 99—acting for Fortescue (led by John Karkar QC)
- Re Fortescue Metals Group Ltd: Ex Parte Fortescue Metals Group Ltd  WASC 88—acting for Fortescue (led by Malcolm McCusker QC)
- Sonray Capital Markets litigation—acting for auditors (led by Paul Anastassiou QC)
- Westpoint Group litigation—acting for ASIC in claim against former auditors, directors and others (led by John Karkar QC and Wendy Harris QC)
- Environinvest Ltd v Great Southern Property Managers Ltd (No 2)  VSC 323— application for extension of time within which to decide to disclaim certain leases (led by Paul Anastassiou QC)
- Willmott Forests Limited—acting for receivers (led by Wendy Harris QC)
- Great Southern litigation—acting for the responsible entity in the Victorian proceedings (led by Mark Derham QC)
*liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation