AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Commercial Law
- Stamp Duty
Nasos practises in commercial law and has significant experience in taxation and revenue disputes.
Nasos regularly appears in the AAT, Federal Court and Supreme Court in respect of taxation matters (including GST, Director Penalty Notices, Payroll Tax and Land Tax matters) for both taxpayers and the Commissioner of Taxation.
Nasos’ commercial practice principally involves advising on and appearing in the Federal Court, County Court and Supreme Court in relation to:
• Insolvency, often acting on behalf of financial institutions, receivers and liquidators
• Property law disputes, including matters concerning title, leases and caveats
• Contractual and tortious disputes, including product liability claims
• Directors’ duties
• Trade practices disputes, including franchise matters
• Environmental law
Prior to coming to the Bar, Nasos practised as a solicitor with Corrs Chambers Westgarth for more than 10 years. During this time, Nasos spent 8 years in the Tax Group working on tax disputes, in particular large-scale litigation on behalf of large multinational corporations before the Federal Court (including Full Court of the Federal Court). Nasos also advised taxpayers on all aspects of ATO audits and reviews, including claims for privilege, FOI matters, estate planning issues (including wills and probate) and administrative law issues. In 2011, Nasos was named in Chambers Global Asia Pacific as the only “Up and Coming” tax practitioner in the Asia Pacific region. In 2006, Nasos also completed his certificate in Negotiation at Harvard University Law School.
Since 2008, Nasos has lectured at the University of Melbourne in Taxation Law subjects (including Tax Effective Writing: Written Advocacy and Corporate Tax A) in the Post Graduate Studies Program. Nasos is a Senior Fellow of the Law Faculty of the University of Melbourne.
Nasos has appeared in the following matters:
- Almond Land Pty Ltd v Geoffjoy Enterprises Pty Ltd & Ors  VCC 196
- Mathoura Property Pty Ltd as Trustee for the Mathoura Property Trust v Commissioner of Taxation  AATA 922
- Confidential v Commissioner of Taxation  AATA 701
- Straight Course Pty Ltd v Mizzicorp Pty Ltd  VCC 1381
- Belbin & Ors v Lower Murray Urban and Rural Water Corporation  VSC 535 (led by Dr M Collins SC)
- Yung v Commissioner of Taxation  AATA 872
- MyEnvironment Inc v VicForests  VSC 91 (led by Mr I Waller SC)
*liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation