AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Commercial Law
- Contract Disputes
- Structured Finance / Complex Transactions
- Constitutional Law
Simona Gory practises in commercial and public law.
Before coming to the Bar, Simona worked as a litigation attorney at Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP in New York, appearing as counsel in most matters (2008-2012). Simona worked on complex commercial cases, with a focus on structured finance and derivatives litigation. She also worked on a number of appellate/constitutional matters. (Click Here for representative cases).
Simona was associate to The Hon Justice Michael Kirby AC CMG at the High Court of Australia (2005-2006). She completed her articles at Arnold Bloch Leibler in 2004.
Simona has taught at Melbourne Law School (Principles of Public Law, Civil Procedure) and at Columbia Law School (Legal Research and Writing). She completed her LLM at Columbia Law School as part of the Associates-in-Law fellowship program. Simona was awarded a number of academic prizes at law school (LLB) including the Spero Wilson Memorial Scholarship (student ranked second on the final honours list).
Representative matters include:
- acting for Ford Australia in civil penalty proceedings by the ACCC alleging unconscionable and misleading conduct (with Charles Scerri QC);
- acting for BP in dispute with Velocity over the Velocity Frequent Flyer Program (with Wendy Harris QC);
- acting for Industry Super Funds in the Royal Commission into Financial Services (with Jim Delany QC and others);
- acting for Mornington Peninsula Shire Council against Jardines Lloyd Thompsons in connection with insurance schemes for local councils (with Garry Rich SC);
- acting for Pitcher Partners in class action by shareholders of Slater and Gordon Ltd (with Neil Young QC and others);
- acting for entities associated with Australia Zoo in contract dispute with former manager (with Jim Peters QC);
- acting for property developers in dispute over real estate commission, including in Court of Appeal (with David Batt QC)
- acting for former agent of Innovia Security Pty Ltd (formerly Securency International) in claim for unpaid commission (with Philip Crutchfield QC);
- advice for insurer in relation to the Fire Services Levy reforms (with Alan Archibald QC);
- acting for applicant in challenge to East West Link business case (misleading and deceptive conduct claim), including in Court of Appeal and High Court special leave application (with Ron Merkel QC and Melinda Richards SC).
- acting for ALP candidate in Senate referral to High Court sitting as the Court of Dispute Returns of Mr Day’s qualification to be chosen as a Senator under s 44(v) of the Constitution (with Jeremy Kirk SC);
- acting for the Attorney-General (Vic) (intervening) in Rizeq v Western Australia  HCA 23 (federal jurisdiction) (with Richard Niall QC);
- acting for the Attorney-General (Vic) in challenge contending that legislation providing for safe access zones around abortion premises is inconsistent with the constitutional implied freedom of political communication (with Kris Walker QC and Kathleen Foley);
- acting for asylum seeker in appeal from the Nauru Supreme Court to the High Court of Australia (with Andrew Broadfoot QC and Matthew Albert);
- acting for spouse in appeal to High Court from decision of the Full Court of the Family Court – procedural fairness, statutory construction of the spousal maintenance provisions (with Wendy Harris QC);
- acting for the Liberal Party Senators-elect in challenge to the result of the 2014 federal election in relation to the Western Australian Senate positions (High Court sitting as the Court of Disputed Returns) (with Stephen Donaghue QC and David Bennett);
- appearing in various special leave applications, including: acting for Minerology in dispute about the construction of a facilities agreement for the Port of Kembla mining operation (with Pat Zappia QC); acting for Victorian Building Authority in appeal from Full Federal Court about the interpretation of the Mutual Recognition Act 1992 (with Claire Harris QC); acting for estate agent in claim for damages for misleading and deceptive conduct in connection with real estate transaction involving multiple defendants (with David Collins QC).
- acting for the Attorney-General (Vic) in judicial review proceeding by owners of the Corkman hotel (with Adrian Finanzio SC);
- acting for the Victorian Electoral Commission in various challenges to local council elections – in VCAT and the Supreme Court (unled);
- acting for the Department of Education and Training in judicial review proceeding raising the status of teachers employed on probation, including in the Court of Appeal (with Melinda Richards SC);
- acting for the Aboriginal Heritage Council in various challenges to its decisions to appoint a Registered Aboriginal Party for an area in Victoria (with Richard Niall QC, Melinda Richards SC).
- acting for the Commissioner of State Revenue in various proceedings involving the First Home Owner Grant Act 2000 (Vic) and the Back to Work Act 2015 (Vic) (unled);
- acting for taxpayer in dispute with Commissioner of State Revenue – land tax, construction of a lease – Court of Appeal (with Phil Solomon QC).
‘Developments in CDO Litigation’ (2010) 26(4) The Review of Banking and Financial Services 25 (with Jon Pickhardt)
*liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation