Administrative Law (Merits Review & Judicial Review)
Simona Gory practices in commercial and public law.
Representative matters include:
• acting for former agent of Innovia Security Pty Ltd (formerly Securency International) in claim for unpaid commission (with Philip Crutchfield QC);
• advice for insurer in relation to the Fire Services Levy reforms (with Alan Archibald QC);
• acting for appellant in Court of Appeal proceeding involving application of statute of limitations to trespass actions and Anshun estoppel issues (with Pat Zappia QC);
• acting for applicant in challenge to East West Link business case (misleading and deceptive conduct claim), including in Court of Appeal and High Court special leave application (with Ron Merkel QC and Melinda Richards SC);
• acting for ASIC against Newcrest Mining Ltd in penalty proceeding alleging contraventions of continuous disclosure obligations (with Mark Moshinsky QC and Michael Borksy);
• acting for property developers in dispute over real estate commission, including application of the Real Estate Agents Act 1980 (Vic) (with David Batt QC);
• acting for local council in dispute over status of laneway, including issues arising under the Road Management Act 2004 (Vic) and Local Government Act 1989 (Vic) (with Robert Hay QC).
• acting for the Liberal Party Senators-elect in responding to a petition challenging the result of the 2014 federal election in relation to the Western Australian Senate positions (High Court sitting as the Court of Disputed Returns) (with Stephen Donaghue QC and David Bennett);
• advices on constitutional and administrative law issues, including the referral power in s 51(xxxvii) of the Commonwealth Constitution (with Wendy Harris QC);
• advice on interpretation of the Country Fire Authority Act 1958 (Vic) (with Stuart Morris QC);
• various advices on statutory interpretation, including of Audit Act 1994 (Vic) (with Jim Delany QC);
• advices for Department of Veterans’ Affairs on various issues, including statutory interpretation (with Ron Merkel QC);
• acting for the Minister and/or applicant in judicial review of visa application decisions.
Before coming to the Bar, Simona worked as a litigation attorney at Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP in New York, appearing as counsel in most matters (2008-2012). Simona worked on complex commercial cases, with a focus on structured finance and derivatives litigation. She also worked on a number of appellate/constitutional matters. (Click Here for representative cases).
Simona was associate to The Hon Justice Michael Kirby AC CMG at the High Court of Australia (2005-2006).
Simona has taught at Melbourne Law School (Principles of Public Law, Civil Procedure) and at Columbia Law School (Legal Research and Writing). She completed her LLM at Columbia Law School as part of the Associates-in-Law fellowship program.
Simona was awarded a number of academic prizes at law school, including the Spero Wilson Memorial Scholarship (student ranked second on the final honours list).
Simona completed her articles at Arnold Bloch Leibler in 2004.
‘Developments in CDO Litigation’ (2010) 26(4) The Review of Banking and Financial Services 25 (with Jon Pickhardt)
*liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation