AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Commercial Law
- Competition/Market Conduct
- Contract Disputes
- Discrimination / Equal Opportunity
Renee has a commercial law practice. She has acted in a wide range of commercial matters, including many class actions and other large scale proceedings.
Renee also has expertise in media law and sports law.
Some of the matters in which Renee has acted are listed below:
Class actions and large scale proceedings
- Acted for the ACCC in its price fixing action against Visy in the Federal Court.
- Acted for Amcor Ltd in its action against former directors for breach of duties in the Supreme Courtof Victoria.
- Acted for the ACCC in its price fixing action against Patrick Corporation in the Federal Court.
- Acted for the applicants in the Centro shareholder class action in the Federal Court.
- Acted for the ACCC in relation to the criminal prosecution that arose from the price fixing litigation against Visy.
- Acted for the Australian Broadcasting Corporation in the Royal Commission into the Victorian bushfires.
- Acted for Korean Air Lines in the air cargo class action in the Federal Court.
- Acted for the applicant in the GPT Management Holdings shareholder class action in the Federal Court.
- Acted for the State parties in the Murrindindi bushfire class action in the Supreme Court of Victoria.
- Acted for the applicant in the Newcrest Mining shareholder class action in the Federal Court.
- Acting for the Commonwealth in a class action arising from the home insulation program.
- Acted for CGU in proceedings brought by liquidators against former directors of a company for insolvent trading in the Supreme Court of Victoria. Acted for CGU in the preliminary joinder application and the subsequent appeals: CGU v Blakeley (2016) 327 ALR 564.
- Acted for a shareholder in a proceeding to enforce the ASX Listing Rules and the company's constitution: Oil Basins Ltd v Bass Strait Oil Company Ltd (2012) 297 ALR 261.
- Acted for a director and member of a publicly listed company to obtain access to company books and to challenge the results of an EGM: Campbell v Jervois Mining Ltd  FCA 316 and  FCA 401.
- Acted for the ACCC and for respondents in s.52 actions: ACCC v Powerballwin.com.au Pty Ltd  FCA 378; ACCC v Singtel Optus Pty Ltd  FCA 87; ACCC v Luv-a-Duck Pty Ltd  FCA 1136.
- Acted for the Victorian Workcover Authority in disputes concerning the calculation of insurance premiums: E.g Somerville Retail Services Pty Ltd v VWA (2011) 32 VR 446 and (No 2)  VSCA 188; United Petroleum Pty Ltd & Anor, Emu (Aus) Pty Ltd v VWA  VSC 570; United Petroleum Pty Ltd v VWA  VSC 51; Emu (Aus) Pty Ltd v VWA  VSC 610; Mallee Transport Logistics v VWA  VSC 572 and (No 2)  VSC 618.
- Acted for insurers in claims for benefits under life insurance policies: E.g Psalidis v Norwich Union Life Australia Ltd(2009) 29 VR 123.
- Acted for the State of Victoria in a breach of contract and misleading conduct case: Ipex ITG Pty Ltd v State of Victoria  VSCA 134 and  VSCA 315.
- Acted for the defendant in a contract claim involving expert determination issues: Tammle Pty Ltd & Ors v UPS Supply Chain Solutions Inc & Ors  VSC 171.·
- Acted for newspapers, television and radio broadcasters, the State of Victoria and many plaintiffs in defamation proceedings: E.g Rebel Wilson v Bauer Media (2017, jury); Hardie v HWT  VSC 364,  VSCA 103, (No 2) VSCA 130; Darryn Lyons v Fowler  VSC 627; Casley v ABC (2013) 39 VR 526; Bolkus v ABC  SASC 150; Knorr v CSIRO & Ors  VSCA 84; John Setka v Tony Abbott MP  VSCA 287 and  HCATrans 151; Perry v McIntosh  VSC 85; Van Garderen v Channel Seven  VCC 953.
- Acted for media defendants in contempt prosecutions in the Supreme Court of Victoria: R v The Herald and Weekly Times Pty Ltd  VSC 251; DPP v Johnson v Yahoo!7  VSC 699, (No 2)  VSC 45.
- Acted for the publishers of The Age and Herald Sun websites in an appeal from an order requiring the removal of internet news reports: News Digital Media Pty Ltd v DPP & Anor (2010) 30 VR 248.
- Acted for Channel Seven in resisting an application to restrain it from broadcasting its television programme 'Killing Time': Dupas v Channel Seven Melbourne Pty Ltd  VSC 486 and  VSC 516.
- Acted in suppression order matters: R v Mokbel  VSC 653; R v Garde-Wilson  VSC 446; B v Australian Crime Commission (No 2)  FCA 1368.
- Acted for the AFL in anti-doping proceedings against 34 players of the Essendon Football Club before the AFL Tribunal and the Court of Arbitration for Sport. Acted in a related application in the Supreme Court of Victoria: ASADA v 34 Players and 1 Support Person  VSC 635 and (No 2)  VSC 14.
- Acted for the AFL in anti-doping proceedings against a support person before the AFL Tribunal and the AFL Appeal Board.
- Acted for the AFL in anti-doping proceedings against St Kilda player, Ahmed Saad and Fremantle player, Ryan Crowley before the AFL Tribunal.
- Acted for the AFL in proceedings brought by a former Essendon player for preliminary discovery in the Supreme Court of Victoria: Hunter v AFL  VSC 666.
Renee is currently a director and committee member of List A Barristers.
*liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation