Before coming to the Bar, Katherine was an Associate at the Federal Court of Australia, first to the Honourable Justice Michelle Gordon in 2011, and then to the Honourable Justice John Middleton in 2012 and 2013.
Prior to that Katherine was at Arnold Bloch Leibler, where she worked as a solicitor in the firm’s Litigation department.
At Arnold Bloch Leibler, Katherine worked on cases in forums including the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal, the Magistrates’ Court of Victoria, the Supreme Court of Victoria and the Federal Court of Australia.
Katherine has a broad corporate and commercial practice. To date, her practice has involved numerous different areas of law, including corporations (including Personal Property Securities Act 2009 (Cth) and shareholder oppression matters), insolvency, bankruptcy, taxation, health, regulatory, contract, trade practices, defamation, professional negligence, domestic building, civil penalty, administrative (in particular, Freedom of Information Act matters) and competition law. Katherine has worked on a range of complex matters, including:
• the OZ Minerals class action and related proceedings in the Federal Court of Australia (led by Peter Collinson QC and Catherine Button);
• Peterson v Merck Sharp & Dohme (Aust) Pty Ltd (No 7) (Vioxx class action settlement approval proceedings) (led by Bernard Quinn QC);
• the Timbercorp and Willmott insolvency matters (involving managed investment schemes);
• Jarra Creek Central Packing Shed Pty Ltd v Amcor Ltd & Ors (a class action brought in the Federal Court of Australia in respect of alleged price-fixing);
• Newtronics Pty Ltd v Gjergja & Ors (a matter involving directors' duties heard in the Supreme Court of Victoria);
• various defamation matters, including cases between a private party and the media, and cases between private parties; and
• various regulatory and disciplinary matters involving regulatory entities such as the Medical Board of Australia, the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency, and the Australian Securities and Investments Commission.
Katherine read with Andrew Hanak.
Katherine has a Bachelor of Laws degree with First Class Honours and a Bachelor of Science degree with a Genetics major, both from the University of Melbourne. Katherine is also a reporter for the Thomson Reuters Federal Law Reports and Federal Court Reports.
*liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation