Administrative Law (Merits Review & Judicial Review)
Discrimination / Equal Opportunity
FOI & Privacy
Human Rights/Victorian Charter
Since coming to the Bar, Fiona has practised in administrative law and commercial law. Fiona’s appearance and advice work has included:
• FTZK v Minister for Immigration and Citizenship  FCAFC 44 (judicial review – whether irrelevant considerations) (led by Stephen Donaghue SC)
• Asmar, in the matter of an election for an office in the Victorian No 1 Branch of the Health Services Union (No 3) FCA 1289 (election rules) (led by Claire Harris)
• Hoser v Department of Sustainability and Environment VSCA (leave to appeal) (led by Chris Horan)
• Durney v Victoria University VSC 13 August 2012, 21 November 2012 (injunctions)
• Pham v Department of Justice VSC 245 (jurisdiction)
• Rattray v Victims of Crime Assistance Tribunal  VCAT 1981 (“serious” or “very serious” injury)
• Heagney v RJ Sanderson & Associates FWA (constructive dismissal)
• Review of NBN Co’s compliance with the Freedom of Information Act 1982 Cth (with Stuart Morris QC);
• contractual disputes; and
• statutory interpretation advice.
Immediately prior to joining the Bar, Fiona was a Senior Solicitor in the Litigation Branch at the Victorian Government Solicitor’s Office. She worked on a wide variety of matters including negligence claims, injunction applications, merits review applications, statutory prosecutions, and advised on contractual disputes and statutory interpretation.
In 2008-2009, Fiona worked as the associate to the Honourable Justice Tracey in the Federal Court of Australia, assisting in matters concerning administrative law, trade practices, intellectual property, equal opportunity and human rights, employment and migration. She completed her articles at Baker & McKenzie and worked as solicitor for two years in the firm’s property and employment groups.
Fiona holds a Master of Law with first class honours from the University of Cambridge and a first class honours degree from Monash University. She was awarded the Academic Prize for the best result in Corporations Law and was a Downing College Senior Seton Scholar. Fiona currently contributes to the Information Privacy Act Chapter in Pizer Victorian Administrative Law looseleaf service.
In 2012, Fiona served as Chairperson of the Law Institute’s Refugee Law Reform Committee and sat on the Institute’s Executive Committee of the Victorian Administrative and Human Rights Law section.
Fiona read with Jason Pizer.
Qualifications: BA (Monash), LLB (Hons), LLM (Hons) (Cantab)